Do you want to celebrate the New Year’s Eve under the stars in Sahara? Live in a desert camp, surrounded by silence and beautiful sand dunes? Here the fireworks are all natural, but oh so magical. A spectacular starlit sky shines without any light pollution. The occassional shooting stars fly over the atmosphere. Be ready to make your wish!
Welcome to our New Year’s celebration in Erg Chegaga.
The celebration takes place in our desert camp, located by the highest dunes in Erg Chegaga. The nomads prepare a feast meal, which includes soup, mechoui, couscous, dessert and other delicious food.
Mechoui is a traditional Moroccan feast meal. It consists of whole grilled lamb being slowly roasted for many hours to make the meat very tender.
After the feast dinner we gather around the bonfire in the middle of the camp lounge area. Enjoy the evening with music, song and dance. We are entertained by a local folklore group and the nomads play drums and sing traditional songs. Everybody can join in with song and dance around the fire. Or maybe you want to sit on a sand dune and just gaze at the magical stars.
- From: M’hamid El Ghizlane village, Zagora region
- Start/stop: Desert Candles office or agreed meeting point in M’hamid
- Departures: 1st departure at 11:00. 2nd departure at 14:00
- Duration: 2 or 3 days (the trip can be extended at an additional cost)
- Transport: Landcruiser 4x4 car with aircondition
- Language: Driver/guide speaks English and French
Day 1: M'hamid - Erg Chegaga dunes - Desert Candles Camp
We start from M’hamid village. Our driver takes you to the dunes of Erg Chegaga in a 4wd car, a trip of 65 km off-road. On the way you pass different features of the desert, like erg (dunes), reg (stone desert), hamada (rock plateau) and oases.
Our desert camp is located by the highest sand dunes in Erg Chegaga. At arrival you are welcomed in the traditional nomadic style, with Moroccan tea and small snacks. Then you are settled into your private nomad tent.
After that you can go on a camel ride in the dunes (before sunset) and try the sandboarding. Climb the highest sand dune (about 300 metres) and enjoy the amazing sunset and a stunning view.
After sunset a feast meal is served in the restaurant tent. A local folklore group are brought in to entertain with music and dance. The nomads play the traditional drums and we gather aound the bonfire in the middle of the camp to enjoy. Spend the last evening of 2019 under the magical desert sky and wish the new 2020 welcome. Sleep in a nomad tent with comfortable beds.
Day 2 and/or 3: Desert Candles camp - M'hamid
Wake up with the sun and experience the beautiful sunrise. Or maybe you prefer to sleep until the breakfast is served in the camp.
- If you have booked the 2 days tour, our driver will take you back to M’hamid village after breakfast.
- If you have booked the 3 days tour, you have the whole day ahead of you to experience the unique desert silence. Relax in the camp, take a quiet walk in the dunes, try some sandboarding or book an extra camel ride. Return to M’hamid after breakfast the next day.
We wish you a Happy New Year 🙂
- 2 days / 1 night : EUR 70 per person
- 3 days / 2 nights: EUR 140 per person
- For bigger groups: Please contact us for price
- NB: You share transport with others, if there are more travellers at the same departure time as you.
Transport in 4wd, guide/driver, private nomad tent with comfortable beds including sheets, blankets, lights inside and outside tent, dinner, breakfast, tea/coffee, local folklore music, 1 x camel ride, sandboarding
- If you have booked the 3 days tour: lunch and extra dinner
- Not included:
Lunch, drink, tip
- (Drink can be bought in the camp. You are also allowed to bring your own)
Booking and Payment: Click here
Send a request